- 0.1 We delve into the recent developments in the CBD oil industry and bring our experts to the think-table to ponder over some FAQs.
- 1 What Is CBD Oil and How Is It Made?
- 2 What Does CBD Oil Do?
- 3 How Can You Consume CBD oil?
- 4 What Can You Use CBD Oil For?
- 5 What Are the Benefits of CBD?
- 6 Are There Any Side-Effects of CBD?
- 7 Is CBD Oil Legal in the U.K?
- 8 What Should You Consider Before Buying CBD Oil in the U.K?
- 9 What Brands of CBD Should You Consider Buying?
- 10 CBD has a lot to offer but needs to be explored further
The word ’cannabis’ raises quite a few eyebrows but shunning social stigmas aside, it’s a natural remedy used for many common ailing diseases. CBD (Cannabidiol) is an amazing derivative of the marijuana plant that has found its way into the market as a wonder-medicine.
Why are all the U.K consumers turning to this relatively untested product?
What is CBD oil, what does it do, how and why you should be buying it? Should you be a part of the CBD life?
With popular high street shops in the U.K now selling CBD oils, which ones should you choose?
We delve into the recent developments in the CBD oil industry and bring our experts to the think-table to ponder over some FAQs.
What Is CBD Oil and How Is It Made?
CBD (Cannabidiol) or ‘cannabis Sativa’ is one of over 100 chemical compounds or cannabinoids found in the cannabis plant.
Tetrahydrocannabinol (THC) is the active cannabinoid that is present in cannabis and causes the feeling of getting ‘high’. But unlike THC, CBD is not usually a psychoactive substance.
CBD is extracted from the cannabis plant and then diluted with a carrier like a hemp seed oil or coconut oil.
What Does CBD Oil Do?
A recent finding and anecdotal evidence have shown that CBD oil is used for therapies, and provides a wide array of health benefits to humans. The current testing has revealed promising results and does not have any mind-altering side-effects.
CBD works by targeting the two endocannabinoid receptors in the humans – CB1 and CB2. The majority of CB1 receptors lie in the brain. CB2 receptors can be found in the immune system. It could also work by:
- Affecting the endocannabinoid receptors in the nervous system.
- Engaging the serotonin receptors.
- Reducing sebum as it is naturally anti-inflammatory.
- Cranial and neural pathways to the brain due to it being an antioxidant.
How Can You Consume CBD oil?
A CBD oil capsule provides the same results as digestible normal pills. The effects may be witnessed within an hour of consumption.
Purchasing a pre-infused cream/lotion with CBD or infusing the CBD helps to interact with endocannabinoid receptors that treat muscles and skin.
Edibles in Food or Drink
Edible CBD can be directly added to food or drink or bought pre-made, which will be ingested and absorbed in the stomach like any other consumed good.
Plenty of warnings about the long-term health effects of vaping surrounding the inhalation of CBD oil through vaping have been issued. But it provides immediate benefits and lasts for a shorter duration.
Tinctures of CBD oil in a small bottle with a dropper included in the cap, are the most common method ingesting CBD oil. The oil can be administered under the tongue which provides an effect within 20-40 mins.
What Can You Use CBD Oil For?
CBD oil can be used for treating numerous symptoms of the following conditions:
- Alzheimer’s disease
- Neurological Disorders
- Drug Withdrawals
- Chronic Pain
What Are the Benefits of CBD?
Stress, Anxiety and Depression Reduction
With medical research studies on humans showing that CBD works well as an anti-anxiety medicine, there has been a surge in people using CBD to deal with nerves and perform better.
CBD oil treats depression and anxiety without the side-effects like addiction and substance abuse that are common with antidepressants containing benzodiazepines.
CBD is anti-inflammatory and could help you sleep like a baby at night. CBD consumed during or post-workout and training sessions boost quick recovery. The same properties also help to lower blood pressure and reduce cell-death associated with heart diseases.
Chronic Pain Treatment
CBD oils, capsules, edibles, or lotions can be used for chronic pain treatment of severe pains like arthritis without overdosing on the non-addictive components of CBD.
Alleviation of Cancer-Related Symptoms
Side-effects related to cancer treatment like pain, vomiting, and nausea or symptoms related to cancer can be reduced by using CBD.
A study by the Department of Clinical Pharmacology, Medical University of Vienna, has revealed that using a combination of CBD and THC administered in the tongue is effective in reducing chemotherapy-related side-effects.
The ability of CBD to target the endocannabinoid system, nervous system, and cranial-signalling systems provide benefits to those with neurological disorders. Muscle spasticity, epilepsy, and multiple sclerosis can also be reduced by CBD.
Are There Any Side-Effects of CBD?
Even though CBD is very well-tolerated and considered to be a safe alternative, it may cause adverse reactions in some people like:
- Changes in appetite and weight
- Medication/Drug Interactions with certain prescription medications
- Psychosis, drowsiness, and hallucinations
Is CBD Oil Legal in the U.K?
Even though the market of CBD oil is booming in the U.S.A, the industry is emerging and becoming popular in the U.K. The CBD products now fall in the category of health and food supplements.
CBD products have been made as fully-legal as long as they contain 0.2% or less of THC. Cannabis oil contains high amounts of THC and is illegal to buy or sell unless and until someone presents a medicinal cannabis prescription.
What Should You Consider Before Buying CBD Oil in the U.K?
Before buying CBD oil you should be familiar with terms like CBD concentration, hemp oil volume, and CBD volume.
Anything containing a higher part than 0.2% of THC is illegal in the U.K and may get you in trouble as it could be an entirely different substance.
The ideal concentration depends on different factors like your body weight or the symptoms you’d like to treat. Read more about how to work out the right concentration for you by reading this CBD Dosage Guide.
Third-Party Lab Tests
Look for lab test results, reports, content description, markers or a certificate of authenticity that shows that the manufacturer has diligently made a good product.
Organic or Non-GMO Sourced
A less pure CBD carrying health risks is associated with hemp plants that have been sprayed with pesticides or insecticides. To be safer and support ethical growing practices, always choose organic and non-GMO companies.
CBD Type and Extraction Method
Full-spectrum CBD oil contains fatty acids, proteins, vitamins and much more, so it’s the healthiest form of CBD oil in the market. CBD oil extracted via CO2 extraction has no solvents or chemicals, hence delivering the purest and most superior product.
What Brands of CBD Should You Consider Buying?
- High level of transparency and a trustable brand.
- Purest and strongest CBD oil in the U.K.
- Available from 250-1000 mg and 1800mg strength.
- The product is extracted by CO2 extraction process.
- Full-spectrum CBD provides maximum benefits.
- Carefully hand-picked products with high efficiency and quality.
- Heavily regulated with third-party verifications.
- High levels of purity and quality through the supercritical CO2 extraction process.
- 100% organic with no added fertilizers, additives or colourants.
- Available from 100mg to 750 mg.
- A U.K-based company operating out of London that focuses on quality.
- Extraction through CO2 extraction process with the highest medical grade CO2.
- Genetically selected plants with suitable phytochemical range.
- Full-spectrum CBD oil provides additional health benefits.
- No pesticides or insecticides make the product completely organic.
Bud & Tender
- Combination of ethanol-based and CO2 extraction process.
- Pure oil with a floral and fruity taste.
- Natural hemp flavour without any bitter taste.
- Made for vegetarians and vegans containing 100% organic products.
- Verified by third-party certifications and lab results.
- Top-notch product made with organic hemp.
- The crop is hand-selected based on the phytochemical properties of the plant.
- No herbicides or pesticides used during cultivation.
- Medical grade CO2 used for the extraction process.
- Available as e-liquid or e-juice (for vapes), edibles, cosmetics, and CBD oil sprays.
- Gluten-free and organic for effective use by vegans as well.
- Supercritical CO2 extraction to filter out CBD from the hemp and get a quality yield.
- Certification and purity reports for individual batches and ingredients.
- Available as capsules and tinctures, but in a weirdly strong taste.
- Available only in two strengths.
- Selected crop yields from small farms all across Europe.
- 100% organic product with zero pesticides or herbicides.
- Extracted under low pressure to keep the chemical profile of the oil.
- Available as edible pastes with strong concentrations and tinctures with 500mg strength.
- Natural feel, fragrance, and taste to feel as close to nature as possible.
CBD has a lot to offer but needs to be explored further
There’s certainly no harm in buying CBD oil online or in a shop as available CBD products contain a low percentage of the chemical. Being well-informed and aware of what to look for before grabbing that bottle off the shelf is important though as it should be used appropriately.
Some of you may be still hesitant to buy and use CBD oil and we don’t blame you. You can always wait for more confirmed studies with bigger test groups and not rely on one-sided lab test results.
Future lab and test results may reveal what CBD can do for our health. So continue to follow up on it to not miss beneficial health opportunities.