Herbal supplements have been used for curing ailments for centuries.
Indian Ayurveda and traditional Chinese medicine are all about herbal treatments for acute injuries to chronic ailments. The earliest record of the use of herbal medicine comes from Sumerian Civilization. Many recipes and records are also reported from Egyptian and Greek Civilizations.
Herbal supplements have entered the western world very recently. The popularity and global markets for herbal supplements are rising tremendously every day, among all age groups. People use herbal medicines alone or along with conventional medicines to boost their immunity.
There is a general belief in people’s minds that herbal supplements are safer because they are natural. This belief might be a misconception too.
And this is the reason why their use is so unchecked and unregulated. Because of the unregulated use of various herbal medicines, people end up using supplements that are impure or mixed with additives to reduce the price. But since herbal natural supplements like kratom have multiple benefits, people love to add them into their daily routine.
There are different kinds of kratom strains that you can read more about to get an idea which will be the best to use according to your needs. When we compare herbal supplements with pain killers, herbal supplements always lead ahead with natural powers.
Let’s see how both compare.
Health Problems to treat with Conventional Drugs
- Pain, Stress and Anxiety are the main problems that people use conventional drugs and herbal supplements for. It proves not to be too beneficial as it raises multiple other problems through side effects for example.
- Many of these can cause insomnia and a disturbed sleep cycle which is most difficult to treat with conventional drugs because they lead to additional side effects that add to the problems, rather than solving them.
- The use of herbal supplements is prevalent because of the tolerance developed in the body by regular use of conventional drugs and withdrawal symptoms caused by them. Kratom, like herbal supplements, might help to fight the withdrawal symptoms and relieve the problems altogether.
- Addiction and dependency of the human body and brain on drugs are dangerous. Herbal supplements like CBD are non-psychoactive and lighter doses of Kratom are not addictive. Hence, herbal supplements are better in the addiction terms too.
- Herb-drug interactions are more harmful than the drug-to-drug interactions. So, if you are using herbal supplements along with your medications try not to do it without medical advice. Properly study the effects of interactions of the drugs you are consuming.
9 Advantages of Herbal Supplements over Conventional Drugs
- Herbal supplements or medicines are made from natural ingredients thus chances of side effects are reduced. Some are beneficial for a sound sleep too. You can consider the best CBD night capsules for sleep which are a herbal supplement, giving you the natural healing benefits. There are many trusted vendors who provide you with high-quality products.
- A single supplement may have a wide range of benefits, so you won’t need to eat pills for every single problem. For example, Kratom and its strains can help you with pain relief, sleeping problems, stress, anxiety, boosting immunity, and works well as a pre and post work out supplement, shows anti-inflammatory, anti-mutagenic, anticancer and antioxidant properties. So, just one herbal supplement will cure so many problems at the same time and you don’t have to worry about herb-drug or drug-drug interactions.
- Herbal products from plants like Echinacea help with boosting your immunity thus making you stronger to fight off illnesses. The presence of compounds like antioxidants, vitamins and phytosterols improves and strengthens the immune system.
- Herbal medicines like Turmeric and Kratom are anti-inflammatory which will reduce your pains and discomfort caused by inflammation and also gradually eliminate the inflammation-causing agents from the body. They can treat inflammation in joints caused by arthritis or sclerosis, and bowel inflammation.
- Herbal supplements have cosmetic benefits too. Yes, herbal supplements take care of your hair and skin too. CBD or hemp oil-infused Shampoos and Conditioners not only give you long and shiny hair but relax your mind too. Serums and face creams rejuvenate your skin and keep it hydrated. Other natural compounds like turmeric, fenugreek seed, black seed etc. are being used in skincare products for better results.
- Herbal supplements go a long way in improving your focus, memory, and concentration because of their stimulating effects.
- Stress and anxiety are the major problems today because of our busy routines and unhealthy lifestyles. Stress leads to many other health issues like Type 2 diabetes, hypertension, blood pressure and insomnia. Herbal supplements relax your mind and regulate the level of the stress hormone, Cortisol.
- Herbal supplements also act as perfect workout supplements both before and after exercising. They help athletes increase their endurance and enhance their performance naturally. Also, some help with weight loss.
- Herbal supplements are also used for pain relief and menstrual cramps. So not only for men, they’re leading in the field of health for the benefits it delivers to women as well. Whether it’s weight loss, menstrual cramps or any other issue, they help you to get relief naturally.
Everything has something to do with chemical reactions inside your body that have optimum dose limits. The overuse or abuse of any herbal supplements may lead to addiction and dependency on the drug. The optimum recommended dose is different for different people depending on their age, sex, weight, and metabolic rate.
Like conventional drugs, herbal supplements also have some side effects if consumed in overdose. Side effects include nausea, vomiting, headaches, dizziness, loss of appetite, dependency etc.
Side effects may also result from the herb to drug interaction when consumed with herbal and conventional medicines in the same time frame. People claim that the reported number of side-effects from herbal medicines is very less compared with conventional medicines. But this might be due to underreporting of effects to medical professionals.
As this comparison has shown, herbal supplements can offer healthier and gentler alternatives to conventional medicinal products for certain illnesses. However, it is important to follow dosage recommendations with both types of treatments and to ensure that taken together, they do not interfere with each other and cause negative side effects.
Ensure you consult your trusted pharmacist, GP or therapist first or read the instructions and possible side effects carefully to get the best health results from any drugs you take.